2013-04-02

Normative

(This is an entry that I made for my Social Psychology class that I'm currently taking. Feel free to reply to the topic also.)

"After reading chapter 36 ["Doing Gender as Resistance" by Dr. Chauntelle Anne Tibbals], describe how you either resist or accommodate social norms related to gender, class, race and ethnicity in everyday life."


When I learn of something that "everybody does" I may tend to not do, just to be different. Ex: When there is a loud noise, most people look in that direction. I may continue what I was doing or look in the opposite direction. Ex: When people are walking and remember they have to go the other way, many will check the time or look at their phone [read: to put on a show for others in case they are watching]. I just seemingly "randomly" turn around now after learning that.
And there are at least two other big things, but I can't think of them right now. So, in the meantime, here's some things off the top of my head that exemplify resisting to social norms.
- Sitting in different places in class most days
- Sitting sideways rather than perpetually facing forwards
- Ethnicity: Half-Japanese, but not caring much for sushi or anime.
- Race: Being half-Japanese, but not looking the part.


Examples of how I accommodate social norms:
- Gender: Not wearing skirts. Having very short hair.
- Class: I generally "act" "average". (This example accounts for 100s or 1000s of day-to-day activities performed)


ps - I always like to think assumption reversal, "what if the opposite of ?"

pps - I'm interested in learning if people in general more want to be similar or different.

~ Simply Advanced ~

My Android Apps | My Windows Phone Apps | My Computer/Programming Blog

No comments: